Friday Recipe | Nutmeg & Custard Yo Yo’s
These were created based on the recipe from the Marcus Wareing “Nutmeg & Custard” cookbook. If you don’t have it, you really should buy it! It’s brilliant! Full of delicious sweet treats from your childhood.
For the biscuits
150g unsalted butter, room temp
40g icing sugar
2 tbsp custard powder
165g plain flour
Nutmeg (fresh or ground)
For the filling
80g unsalted butter, room temp
75g icing sugar, sieved
2 tbsp custard powder
* Preheat oven to 165c / gas mark 3
* For the biscuits, cream the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy. Sieve the custard powder and flour together, then mix into creamed butter
* Roll the dough into a sausage shape, approx 4cm in diameter, and wrap tightly in clingfilm. Pop it in the fridge for about an hour (the original recipe says 30mins, but I find they need longer) and then cut into slices, approx 1cm thick. Place them on a baking sheet.
* Grate nutmeg over the top of the biscuits. Bake for 15-20minutes until pale golden. Leave to cool on the baking tray.
* For the filling, cream all of the ingredients together until light and fluffy. When the biscuits are cold, sandwich them together with a large dollop of the filling and leave to set for 30mins before eating!
I haven’t made too many recipes from this book as they often call for expensive ingredients (and certainly not ingredients that I would frequently find in my cupboards!). But these ones sounded like fun. They’re very simple to make and taste delicious. I find that you need to keep the dough in the fridge for longer than the 30 minutes that’s recommended in the book because it’s just not stiff enough after 30 minutes. I kept them in the fridge for over an hour and the dough was stiff enough to slice evenly then.
My oven tends to get really hot, so the biscuits came out a bit burnt on the bottom (no problem – I scraped them!) Also, the recipe makes slightly too much custard cream so I had some left over (which I ate from the bowl anyway, because it’s delicious!!).
Overall, these are very yummy biscuits! The recipe says that they last up to 3 days in the fridge, but I can’t see them
being around for that long…!! ;o)
(originally posted on my www.lickingthewhisk.com blog)